Saturday, November 20, 2010

My First Cake...to sell

I had a new challenge this week...Joy, Nicole's mother-in-law, ordered some farm animal cupcakes for her grandson's first birthday. Along with the cupcakes, she also wanted a smash cake for the birthday boy. I've only made 2 other birthday cakes that I've decorated and they've been for my own girls, never for an order. I was pretty nervous all day on Friday as I worked on the cake and had nightmares all night long about cakes falling apart. I even got up to check on the cake twice! Thankfully, it all stayed together and turned out pretty cute.
I covered it in buttercream because a.) I'm not skilled in covering cakes in fondant, b.) I don't think a 1 year old can get through fondant to get to the messy cake part and c.) who really likes the taste of fondant anyway???

Coordinating farm animal cupcakes.
After making the cake, and seeing that it stayed together, I kinda like the whole cake making experience!

My little helper in the morning while everyone else was asleep.
Ok, she didn't really help, but she kept me company and she's so darn cute!
Thanks for the challenge, Joy! I hope Kyle had a great party...and I hope he liked his cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment