Let me just start by saying, this is post is not for the faint of heart!
Well, it finally happened...someone got stitches. And yep, it's poor little Katie-poo. It has been a rough 6 days for her.
So this is what happened, Katie-poo was up on the kitchen counter getting some goldfish for Sophie and herself. She jumped off (facing the cabinets) but didn't give herself enough clearance and she hit her chin on the counter. OUCH! It hurts me just typing this! I, at the time, was in the shower when I heard a loud scream. I wasn't sure if it was a happy scream or a cry so I braced myself for someone to come running in. And sure enough, the door swung open and there stood Katie-poo crying with a mouth full of blood.
At this point she was only concerned with her tongue, which was covered in cuts. I jumped out of the shower as soon as I saw blood pouring from under her chin...gross story, I know! I grabbed some toilet paper to dab up some of the blood and then checked out the damage. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. The cut was gaping with bumpy tissue coming out.
I threw on some clothes and grabbed a dress for Sophie, who stood there like a deer in headlights. There was no way I was going to get Katie-poo out of her jammies, so I was so glad she was wearing a nightgown that definitely worked as a dress. I called Jamie (on his first day at his new office building) to try to explain what happened, but I think I failed. He offered to meet us at the hospital, but I didn't want to make him have to sit around for hours with us on what was already a stressful day at work.
Katie-poo, Sophie and I waited at Kaiser for over 2 hours before a nurse came out and put a bandage on her chin with some numbing medicine. (In the mean time, I checked the internet on my phone to see how long we had until the cut needed to be stitched up. Everything said usually within 8 hours, so we were good.) About 30 minutes later, we were taken back. Once in the room, the doctor cleaned out the gash (yuck!) and then Katie-poo was given 4 shots of Novocaine straight into her wound and then she was stitched up with 6 stitches. She was such a brave girl! I think I wanted to cry more than she actually did. The tears started coming after the 2nd stitch was done, but she managed to keep herself nice and still. It seriously broke my heart to see her in so much pain.
![]() |
| This is one time I am so glad I didn't have my regular camera with me. These pictures don't even begin to show how bad the gash really was! |
![]() |
| Our little brave girl! 6 stitches and a dab of glue made it as good as new...almost. |
The cut is actually in a pretty good place. I don't think it will be noticable unless she is looking up. The nurse and the doctor both had similar scars and told us this is a very common place for kids to get stitches.
After we left the hospital, we picked up Beli from school and then headed to Target for an Icee (to help make her tongue feel better) and a get-better Barbie. When Katie-poo was scared and upset about getting stitches, those were the only two things that came to my mind to help her feel better. Well, that and the fact that Uncle Reed has a matching scar and now she can be Sally for Halloween...but I don't think she found the humor in that last one!
I'm really hoping Katie-poo grows out her clumsy stage. I know it's part of being a kid, but all these falls are starting to worry me a bit. =(



Yes, you are the winner Em! Lucky you! Poor Katie, but she was so brave! Charlotte and Katie are 2 peas in a pod!
ReplyDeleteshe didn’t grow out of it.
ReplyDelete