Friday, July 15, 2011

For the Love of Watermelon

If I haven't said it before, I'm saying it now...Groupon/Living Social/Screamin Deals are SO cool! Right before our vacation, I bought a deal through one of those for the Tanaka Farms Watermelon Tour...at less than 1/2 the price! So, the girls and I joined Keri, Kelly and the kids for a morning tour of all the fruits and veggies grown on the farm.

We picked a perfect day for the tour since it was partly cloudy and a lot cooler than the usual July day...at least for most of the tour.


 A tractor pulled us along the 30-acre farm as we sampled onions, carrots, tomatoes, sweet corn, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, melon, and red and yellow watermelon.

 Keri and I begged for a sample of this tree...it's used to make tequila. No such luck there though.

Ahhh, just perfect for my girls. When you're done sampling the food...you just throw it off the side of the tractor onto the ground! 

 Katie-poo hoarded most of the tomatoes. Poor Luke had to practically beg her for one!

 The sweet corn was SO good!


 Noah, Jaxson, Luke, Abbie, Katie-poo, Sophie & Beli

 Isabel and Kaitlin asked me if I had salt when the cucumbers came around.
Definitely Daddy's girls!

Not quite sure what to do about the yellow watermelon...
(It tasted good, but we all liked the red better.)


 Kaitlin is definitely the big watermelon lover in our family!

 Ready to get our own watermelons...





 And then the smiles turned upside down once the heat started to kick in...


 But we found those smiles again just in time for the necessary watermelon picture!


I actually learned a lot about how fruits and veggies grow...it's no wonder why Nicole and her family do these tours as often as they can! I'll be on the look out for another deal so maybe we can come back in the fall and do the pumpkin tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment