A couple weeks ago, I mentioned that Isabel found a caterpillar at the park. We brought her home and a day later she wrapped herself in a chrysalis. I never took pictures of the caterpillar, because well, we had no time before she changed. And then I never took pictures of the chrysalis because I thought we would kill it for sure. We've tried the whole butterfly thing before; it didn't work out so well.
Well...today, our caterpillar turned into a beautiful butterfly! We actually kept it alive! I'm just as amazed as you are!
A Mourning Cloak Caterpillar (pic from the internet)
The empty chrysalis
Our Butterfly
She will be released tomorrow morning.
And yes, she's sitting on a black twist tie...I had to hang her chrysalis back up after it fell off the mesh top. Well, I didn't have to, but after a couple days of the chrysalis wiggling around, we thought maybe she needed to be hanging again. ???
There aren't too many things that I can think of that have such a total transformation like a caterpillar to a butterfly. (Actually, I can only think of a tadpole to a frog.) Nature is so awesome...We may have to get out there more this summer and really enjoy it!
See?! Science TOTALLY runs in the family! That is soooo awesome you guys got to see that! Thanks for taking the pictures so those of us who have never seen this happen can see it!
ReplyDeleteYou missed your calling as a science teacher....glad ur girls are so interested!
ReplyDelete