Saturday, March 26, 2011

Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?

It's time for another book report for Isabel. I know I don't usually document school projects, but this one turned out pretty cool...

She read the book, Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots? and had to make a diorama for her report. I think this book was a bit easy for her reading level, but it seems to match the books she brings home from the library...and it had a cute scene in it...so, what hey heck!

We started with all this...

And this book...

With this scene...
 As soon as Isabel showed me the scene she wanted to do, I knew how I wanted us to make the tree...with wire mesh covered with clay. I know we could've done something much simpler, but it had to be strong enough to hold a doll and a dog.

Covering the inside of the box...
(For future reference...always cover the outside of the box first with something like wrapping paper...it would've made things much easier. Oh and Mod Podge is definitely the way to go in terms of glue!)

 Jamie constructed the tree out of the wire, and then we all covered it with the clay. Isabel is convinced even more now that she wants to make cupcakes as a living because I told her that the clay was a lot like my fondant.
 Sculpting her tree...

 And adding some finishing touches...

 The finished product!
I think it turned out so cute!

Isabel's nice penmanship...

Isabel's brief summary...

And yes, I helped too...I just didn't post the pictures of me.
This actually turned out to be a nice little family project!

1 comment: